Missouri Highways and Transportation Commission Selects I-270 North Design-Build ContractorMissouri Department of Transportation | St Louis District
1590 Woodlake Drive | Chesterfield MO 63017-5712
314.275.1500 Fax: 573.522.6475
For more information, contact MoDOT Customer Service at (314) 275-1500
Sent by I-270 North Project Communications Coordinator Nina M. Thompson
(314) 370-4187 Nina.Thompson@modot.mo.gov
Follow us on Facebook at MoDOT-St Louis
Follow us on Twitter: @MoDOT_StLouis
ST. LOUIS - Nov. 6, 2019 At its monthly meeting held today on the St. Louis Community College campus in Ferguson, the Missouri Highways and Transportation Commission selected Millstone Weber as the Design-Build contractor for the Interstate 270 North Project. The $278 million dollar project runs along I-270 from I-70 on the west to west of Riverview Drive.
“Seeing this project come to fruition is great progress for the community, the region and the entire state of Missouri,” said MoDOT Director Patrick McKenna. “The I-270 North Project is MoDOT’s largest single project in the last decade. It will replace aging infrastructure, enhance safety and resiliency of the system and improve mobility for freight and passengers, all while creating an economic boost for nearby communities. MoDOT’s design-build model to scale the scope of work to match existing resources has worked well for us, and I believe it will with this project, too. ”
The I-270 North Design-Build Project seeks to improve reliability within the I-270 corridor, link communities, and enhance traffic operations so that the public has a durable and maintainable transportation network.
Challenges within the corridor include safety. Reports show that both directions of I-270 have higher than average rates of severe crashes. They also indicate higher-than-average crash rates, with eastbound I-270 showing an average crash rate 30% higher than the statewide average for interstates.
Other challenges include the corridor’s position as one of the heaviest traveled interstates in Missouri, 140,000 vehicles, of which 18% are heavy trucks, travel it daily. In addition, the corridor offers limited pedestrian facilities.
“This project has been in the works for a long time and we are excited to finally move forward to address some of the challenges within the I-270 corridor,” said Project Director, Justin Wolf. “While we know that a project of this scope will require patience on the part of those who travel throughout the corridor, we also know that the end product will be worth it.”
MoDOT’s project team will meet with Millstone Weber over the next several months to fine-tune project elements and construction approach. Improvements planned for the project include:
- Reconstruct interchanges at U.S. Route 67 (Lindbergh), Hanley/Graham Roads, New Florissant Road, Washington St./Elizabeth Ave., West Florissant Ave, News Halls Ferry Road, Old Halls Ferry Road and Route 367,
- Additional lane of pavement on I-270 in both directions from U.S. Route 67 (Lindbergh) to Route 367
- Improve accessibility for bicycles and pedestrians with shared use paths from Lindbergh to Breezy Point Lane along Dunn Road, and from Hanley/Graham Roads to Old Halls Ferry Road along Pershall Road, and
- Improve safety with an updated outer road system that includes outer road conversions and removal of cross over slip ramps.
“We are thrilled to be part of this significant project,” said Thom Kuhn, President/CEO Millstone Weber, LLC. “We look forward to it being a model for how MoDOT, its contractors, engineers and the community can work together for the greater good. We and our partners are ready for the challenge.”
Work on the project is scheduled to begin in spring 2020. Project goals are:
- Deliver the project by Dec. 1, 2023 within the program budget of $278 million.
- Maximize reliability and safety while linking communities for all users.
- Provide a durable and maintainable transportation network making Interstate 270 the conduit for a prosperous region.
- Grow and utilize a diverse workforce.
- Minimize and mitigate impacts to customers through innovation.
“Many of the people who have worked alongside of MoDOT to help make this project a reality have been reaching out to us to let us know how pleased they are that the project is moving into the construction phase,” said Wolf. “We are excited too because we know that those who live and use the I-270 North corridor will be the benefactors of a much-improved traffic system to travel on.”
The Design-Build team selected for the I-270 North project is:
|Team Name||Millstone Weber|
|Major Participants:||Millstone Weber||Parsons Transportation Group|
|Additional Team Members:||Horner and Shifrin
Excel Business Concepts
Previous Contractor Events
MoDOT hosted a DBE mixer on June 20, 2019. Both short-listed design-build teams were present to meet with potential DBE companies. Over 25 DBE firms attended and connected with the teams and MoDOT staff. View the sign-in sheets.
Interested in doing work with the I-270 Design Build Team? Please contact us to receive project updates and opportunities unique to Contractors and those interested in doing work on this world class project. Procurement Schedule | Request for Letters for Design-Build ServicesView upcoming Contractor Events
- I-270 North Prequalified Teams (PDF 86KB) (Opens in a new window)
- REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS
I-270 North Design-Build Project, St. Louis County, MO (PDF 69KB) (Opens in a new window)
- Download RFQ Forms Package (ZIP 6.0MB) (Opens in a new window)
- View Meeting Presentation (PDF 1.3MB)(Opens in a new window)
- View Sign In Sheets (PDF 895KB) (Opens in a new window)
- View RFQ Addendum Cover Letter (PDF 160 KB)(Opens in a new window)
- View RFQ Addendum (PDF 608 KB)(Opens in a new window)
- View Form DB-102A1 (PDF 913 KB)(Opens in a new window)
- View RFQ Response RFCs (PDF 110 KB)(Opens in a new window)
Pre-Industry Meeting and DBE Mixer
MoDOT held a pre-industry meeting and Disadvantaged Business Enterprises (DBE) mixer at the St Louis offices on Tuesday February 26, 2019. The meeting was open to prime contractors, design consultants, small contractors and certified DBE companies. MoDOT talked through the project goals, procurement schedule, project budget, and workforce diversity, among other topics. Please view the presentation and attendees list.